How to Make Money on the Side: 65 Ways to Make Extra Money Now
Some of the links in this post are from our sponsors. Read our disclosure to see how we make money.
If you were to Google ‘how to make money on the side,’ you’d come up with hundreds, if not thousands of ways to make extra money on the side. To be fair, there are countless ways to make extra money. You are limited only by your imagination, willingness to work and ability to think outside the box.
The first time I desperately needed to make money on the side was while I was paying off debt. I had $50,000 in debt, and there was no way I would become debt free on my salary. I needed a solution.
That began my search for good ways to make money on the side. My first attempt at making extra money was selling plasma. It wasn’t pretty, but it provided several hundred dollars each month that I could throw at my debt.
Several side hustles later, my debt started to shrink, and I began to see the power of making extra cash on the side.
If you want to know how to make extra money on the side, this post is for you. This guide shares 65 ways to make money on the side, from the most basic to more advanced ways to make additional income.
Why is Extra Money So Important?
Before we discuss how to make more money on the side, it’s vital to know why it’s so important. We all have big goals we want to achieve. In most cases, you will need additional income to make those goals a reality.
Do you want to do any of the following:
- Pay off debt
- Save money for retirement
- Save for a house
- Save for a car
- Start a business
- Save for your child’s education
Each of these goals require money to achieve. If your full-time job doesn’t provide the necessary income, making extra money on the side may make them possible.
When many people think about these financial challenges, they think saving money is the only way to tackle them. Saving money is vital to reaching goals and having a well-balanced financial life.
But earning more is always better than spending less, for one key reason – you can only save so much money. When you make money on the side, you’re only limited by time, ability, and desire.
Making extra income may be the best way to conquer your goal.
How to Make Money on the Side
Not all extra income opportunities are created equal. Some are scams, and some don’t provide an ample return for your effort. If you need to make extra cash, here is our list of the best ways to make money on the side.
How to Make Money on the Side from Home
There are many ways you can bring in additional income from the comfort of your home. Thanks to the Internet, if you want to make extra cash, the possibilities are endless.
We limited our list a bit here to avoid overlap and will cover ways to make money on the internet in the next section. Here are the best ways to make money on the side from home to pad your budget:
1. Have a garage sale. A garage sale is a classic way to make extra money at home. How many items do you have sitting around your house you no longer use?
You can turn those items into cash (and declutter your home) with a garage sale. These tips will help you make the most money possible from your garage sale:
- Make sure the items are in clean, working condition
- Advertise your sale around your neighborhood and use Facebook Marketplace to reach more people
- Don’t price anything; negotiate everything
- Offer light refreshments
- Be organized
- Offer package deals if you have more than one of a particular item
- Be friendly
If you live in an HOA, make sure they have no restrictions on having garage sales. If they don’t, this is a great way to make money on the weekends and inject your budget with cash.
2. Take paid surveys. If you feel you don’t have enough time to make extra money, try taking paid surveys. Taking surveys is one of the best ways to make money on the side with a full-time job because they offer so much flexibility.
You can take surveys at home while watching TV to monetize your downtime. You can also take online surveys in the following ways:
- While waiting at the doctor’s office
- On your lunch break
- On the bus or train on your way to and from work
Companies pay good money to find out what we watch, buy, and think politically. You won’t become rich taking paid surveys, but they’re one of the best ways to make extra money while working full-time.
Below are a few of the best paid survey sites to make extra money:
- Survey Junkie: This is our favorite survey site. They pay you cash straight to PayPal or let you redeem rewards for Amazon gift cards. Check out our Survey Junkie review to see how it works.
- Pinecone Research: This site pays $3 per survey, and you can choose between PayPal, Amazon or restaurant gift cards for your payment. They also pay to do product testing. Read our Pinecone Research review to learn how to maximize earning potential.
- Panda Research: Panda Research pays you for a number of different activities, including: answering surveys, reading emails and referring friends. The minimum payout is $50, and they pay via PayPal on the 1st and 15th of each month. Panda Research does require phone verification when they process your first payout to confirm your identity.
Taking paid surveys will not replace your day job, but they can be a nice way to add several hundred dollars per month to your budget.
3. Run a daycare. Are you a stay-at-home parent and have extra space in your home? If you are, you can open an at home daycare to serve families in your local area.
Running an at-home daycare lets nearby parents quickly drop off their kids prior to going to work. You may also be able to offer services for less than a traditional daycare business, saving parents money.
If you already watch your own children, an at home daycare can be a great way to get paid to stay at home. Just make sure you check and comply with all local laws. You may need to get approved, or need a license to run an at home daycare.
How to Make Money on the Internet
The Internet takes opportunities to make extra money on the side to another level. There are many so ways to make money on the Internet it’s almost hard to count them.
While some require a specialized skill, many require little to no skill at all. Many of the opportunities that require skill often only require you to take a class and no further additional education.
Here are the best ways to make money on the Internet that you can try right now:
4. Start a blog. Blogging is a great way to make extra money on the side. I’ve more than replaced the income I earned at my former day job through blogging.
Running a blog provides many opportunities to make extra income, from picking up freelance writing gigs to affiliate marketing and speaking opportunities. You can make a great income from blogging, but do keep in mind that it takes time and effort to grow a blog that makes money.
As you can see from the graph below, courtesy of ProBlogger, there are many ways to make money blogging. If you want to make money as a blogger, you just need to find one that works for you.
You don’t need to be a technical genius to run a blog.
Bluehost can get you up and running in a few minutes as they provide you a free domain name and install your new site with one click. Bluehost costs just $2.95 per month and provides support to get your website off the ground.
Have you always wanted to start a blog, but don’t know where to begin? Check out our guide on how to start a blog, where I break down all the steps you need to make money blogging.
5. Make money watching videos. Are you wondering how to make more money on the side and think there’s nothing simple you can do to make extra cash?
If you feel that way, you haven’t thought of watching videos online. There are a number of companies that will pay you to watch sponsored videos. This can either be for a product or to do market research.
InboxDollars pays $5 when you sign up, and they’ve paid out close to $60 million in awards. Check out our InboxDollars review to learn about how the platform works.
6. Create an online course. Do you have expertise in a particular area? You can make money on the Internet by creating courses to sell online.
There is a lot of demand for online courses. Statista reports nearly $50 billion in online course sales as of 2016. If you can confidently teach on a subject or skill, this can be a great way to make money on the side.
Creating the materials for an online course does take a good bit of work in the beginning, but once you get everything done, it can be the best source of extra money – passive income.
Teachable is a great platform to host and market your course. Once someone buys your course, everything is automated through the Teachable platform as they take care of all the work.
Using a service like Teachable lets you focus on the subject matter and not worry about the technical aspects of teaching an online course.
7. Be a part of a focus group. Many companies like to get market research directly from consumers. They use this to help them know what products we like and to simply get feedback on a product.
Check Craigslist, call local colleges, or use VIP Voice to take part in focus groups. You don’t need special skills to take part in a focus group, just experience using a product.
VIP Voice is traditionally known for taking surveys, but they also partner with companies to perform focus groups. These more involved focus groups typically pay at least $100.
8. Be a Virtual Assistant. A virtual assistant (VA) is one of the best ways to make money on the Internet. VAs help people with a number of tasks including social media management, email management, remote data entry work, scheduling meetings, sending invoices, customer service, online research, blog management and more.
Beginner VAs can earn anywhere from $15 – $20 per hour while experienced ones can earn $30+ per hour.
My friend Kayla started out as a part-time VA and now runs her freelance VA business full-time. She earns over $10,000 per month working from home as a VA.
This means that being a VA has the potential to be one of the best high paying jobs for stay-at-home moms, college students, or anyone wanting to work from home.
If you’re interested in starting your own freelance VA business, sign up for her course (aptly called 10kVA) to learn how you can start earning money as a VA.
9. Sign up for free trials. If you want to make money on the side from home and are looking for a unique option, signing up for free trials is a legit way to do so.
Similar to Global TestMarket, mentioned earlier, Prize Rebel pays you to sign up for free trials and test those products. Prize Rebel also pays you to watch videos and answer surveys.
There have been over seven million active users of the platform since it started in 2007 and you can sign up to start making money in ten seconds.
You can begin redeeming cash (via transfer to PayPal) with just a $5 balance, which is lower than many other survey-related sites. Free trials and surveys won’t make you rich, but they can be a great way to earn some extra cash.
10. Do random online jobs. The Internet makes it possible to monetize anything. You can make money doing everything from writing thank you notes, to recording voice-overs, to making travel plans.
*Related: Want a part-time job with benefits? Check out our guide on the best part-time jobs with health benefits to help stretch your budget.*
The best resource to make money through random jobs is Fiverr. You can perform a variety of gigs, and many make their living selling jobs on the platform.
They may not be high paying jobs, thus the $5 name, but it can be a great way to make money on the side. The key to earning more with Fiverr is the add-ons.
Many on Fiverr charge extra for special add-ons and make even more money. If you specialize in a certain niche, this can be a great way to make more on Fiverr.
11. P2P lending. Investing in the stock market or real estate isn’t the only way to invest and bring in additional income. You can also loan money to others through Peer-to-Peer (P2P) lending and make money on the side for yourself.
P2P sites like LendingClub loan money to individuals. LendingClub is the largest online P2P lender, and you can invest in notes with as little as $25.
Returns obviously vary, but many loans return 6-8 percent on average. Just make sure to diversify your loans to help protect against risk of loss.
12. Get paid for your web searches. If you’re like me, you’re online all the time. Monetizing your web searches is one of the easiest ways to make money on the Internet.
With Swagbucks you can earn points, called SB points, which can be turned into money. You earn these points by using Swagbucks as your search engine.
You can also make money with Swagbucks by taking surveys, playing games, and watching sponsored videos.
Swagbucks gives you a $5 bonus to start, and you can earn things like Amazon gift cards for completing different actions on their browser. If you’re looking for a way to make money as a kid, Swagbucks is a good option.
13. Work for Amazon Mechanical Turk. Amazon Mechanical Turk (MTurk) specializes in what they call Human Intelligence Tasks (HITs). These are quick jobs you can do to make a small amount of money.
You can do a variety of jobs through MTurk, such as:
- Verifying Google search results
- Doing short transcriptions
- Taking surveys
- Selecting add-on products for an e-commerce site
MTurk jobs are lower paying, but there is no limit. You can take 10 jobs a day, or 10 an hour. The only limit is your time and willingness to do a particular job.
You won’t get rich with MTurk, but it can be a good way to make money on the Internet with little skill.
How to Make Money on the Side with No Skill
Many people believe only those with specialized skills can make extra money on the side.
That is simply not the case. There are many ways to make extra money with no skill, especially when you use any of the best side hustle apps.
You just need to be willing to work and have time to spare. Here are the best ways to make money with no skills that almost anyone can do:
14. Deliver meals. Delivering pizzas is a classic way to earn extra money. Thanks to the growth in the ridesharing space, you can earn an income delivering meals to people.
All you need is a mode of transportation and the ability to lift up to 30 pounds.
Not only do you get paid to deliver meals, in many cases you earn tips too, which makes delivering meals one of the easiest ways to make money fast.
You don’t even need a car to deliver meals. You can deliver meals via bike, scooter, or motorcycle.
Below are the best companies to deliver meals for to make money on the side:
- DoorDash: You must be at least 18 to deliver for DoorDash, have a valid driver’s license and insurance, own an iPhone or Android-based phone, and be able to pass a background check. DoorDash pays you weekly, and you get to keep any tips you receive. In some cities, DoorDash even pays a sign-up bonus.
- Postmates: Postmates is similar to DoorDash, and you can work around your schedule. You can deliver meals, groceries, and alcohol with Postmates.
If you’d like to learn more about how to make money delivering meals, check out our guide on ways to run errands for money.
15. Be a rideshare driver. If you’re looking for how to make extra money fast, look no further than driving for a ridesharing service like Lyft. You need no special skills to make money driving for Lyft, aside from being professional and friendly to riders.
Lyft pays you weekly, plus you get to keep any tips riders give you. Lyft is currently offering a $1,000 earnings guarantee in your first 30 days. You just need 125 rides in the first 30 days to reach the guarantee.
You and your car will need to pass certain requirements before you can drive for Lyft:
- You must be at least 21 years old with an active U.S. driver’s license for at least one year
- You must have a valid license plate on your car with current registration
- Your auto insurance policy must be current, valid, and in your name
- The age of your car must meet the requirements of your home city
- Your car needs to have four working doors, and they must operate both internally and externally
- The air conditioning and heat must be fully functional
- The vehicle must have at least five seat belts, and they all need to be functional
If you’d like to make money on the side as a rideshare driver, check out our guide on how much money can you make driving for Lyft.
16. Read emails. Reading sponsored emails is a legit way to make extra money on the internet.
With Vindale Research you get paid to read sponsored emails. You also get paid to take surveys, watch videos, and find rewards codes online.
The one drawback is that you need to reach $50 to cash out via PayPal or check, but Vindale does pay more than other survey type sites, and you get $1 to start.
Read our review of Vindale Research to learn more about the platform.
17. Get cash back when you shop. One of the best ways to make money on the side is by shopping. There are many apps that let you get cash back when you shop, but Ibotta is our favorite.
With Ibotta, you scan your receipt at the grocery store and it locates deals, letting you earn the savings in cash – once you reach a $20 threshold.
Ibotta also works at over 350 retailers – both physical and online. Ibotta also pays you $10 when you sign up. Check out our Ibotta review if you want to learn more about this opportunity to make money on the side.
18. Lower your bills. You may not realize this, but one of the best ways to make money on the side is by lowering your monthly cable and phone. The savings results in immediate cash you can put towards other areas of your budget.
The only problem is that it’s a hassle to call providers and ask for a lower rate. If you don’t have the time, you never know when you might be able to reap the savings.
The Trim app does much of that work for you by working in the background to contact providers to slash your bills for you, without you having to lift a finger.
Trim says it saves users at least $1,000,000 per month. Check out our Trim review to learn more about how the service gets money back for you.
19. Go grocery shopping. You may not realize this, but you can make extra money on the side by grocery shopping for others. Think of this as mystery shopping, but with a twist.
Instead of reporting back on how a store handles their customers, you buy groceries for people. They may not have the time to shop on their own, hate shopping, or traveling.
With Instacart Shopper you shop for groceries for those people. Instacart Shopper offers two roles, you can either shop in store for them or you can also deliver the groceries to their home.
Shoppers make up to $20 with Instacart Shopper, so this is a great way to earn money on the side. Read our Instacart Shopper review to learn how to maximize earnings with this opportunity.
20. Install an app on your phone. We’re always on our phones, so why not make extra money on the side while using them? Companies want to know how we use our devices so they can improve their marketing and service activities.
MobileXpression pays you to download their app and install it on your phone or mobile device. Free to use, once you open an account and download the software, you start earning rewards that can be redeemed for cash or gift cards.
They also hold weekly drawings for Kindles and iPads.
21. Clean homes. If you’re looking for good ways to make money on the side, look no further than cleaning homes. While not glamorous, you can make good money when you build a client base.
Commercial cleaning companies can be very expensive, and they’re often not very good. You can offer a more personal service without the high cost of a commercial cleaning provider.
Many house cleaners in Omaha make $20+ per hour. That’s good money if you’re fast and do quality work. Word of mouth works best to find opportunities, but Facebook Marketplace can be a good source for finding clients.
22. Be a mock juror. Do you love courtroom dramas? Are you intrigued by the juror experience? If so, you can make money as a mock juror through eJury.
When you sign up to be a mock juror, eJury matches you with an attorney who wants to pre-try a case before it goes to trial. You get paid up to $10 for each verdict you give.
You won’t become rich by being a mock juror, but it can be one of the more fun ways to make money on the side.
How to Make Extra Money with Your Skills
One of the best ways to make money on the side is to look at your current set of skills. In many instances, there are opportunities to monetize those skills to bring in additional income.
It doesn’t matter if you use these skills in your day job, or if it’s simply an interest you have. You can use those skills to make money. Here are the best ways to make money on the side with your skills:
23. Be a tutor. Are you a teacher, or have a college degree and/or are proficient in a certain subject? If so, you can make extra money tutoring students on the side.
There are many opportunities to tutor students for cash. You can meet with students in their homes, at coffee shops or on campus to make extra money.
You can also teach English online from home to make extra money on the side. There are students all over the world who want to learn English, and the best way to do that is through ESL tutoring.
As an ESL teacher, you teach a small group of students, typically no more than four per class. The course materials and administration are all provided to you, all you need to do is teach and have access to a computer with a webcam.
Requirements vary, but in most cases, you either need to have one year of teaching experience (homeschool teaching or tutoring will qualify) or be currently enrolled in your last year of college. Below are the best platforms to teach English from home and earn extra money:
- SayABC: With SayABC you teach younger students – as young as five years old. One year of teaching experience qualifies you to teach with SayABC. You can earn up to $28 per hour teaching with SayABC.
- QKids: QKids lets you teach English from home, and you can earn up to $20 per hour. You don’t need to have a degree as QKids lets you teach students if you’re enrolled in your last year of college. You also need to be able to commit to teaching at least six hours per week.
- Cambly: Cambly doesn’t require a certification or degree to teach students. You simply need to be fluent in English and be open to teaching students from all over the world. Pay at Cambly chimes in at just over $10 per hour.
Check out our guide on how to teach English online from home for other companies that pay you to tutor.
24. Become a proofreader. Do you have a knack for grammar or have a degree in English? Do you enjoy reading or making things better? Working as a proofreader is one of the top ways to make money on the side. All you need is a laptop and the flexibility to work from wherever you want.
How can you work as a proofreader? It’s quite simple. Each piece of content you read, whether it’s an ad or a newspaper article, needs to be edited. Examples of content that a proofreader edits include:
- Blog posts
- And more!
You can be a generalist, or have a particular area of expertise. Proofreaders often make $20+ per hour (more if you have specialized skills). You can advertise your services on Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, or Upwork to get gigs.
Our friend Caitlin Pyle offers a free informational course at ProofreadAnywhere.com to get you started. The course gives you the tools you need to land clients and make money proofreading.
25. Sell pictures. Taking a good picture requires talent. If you love photography, you can make extra money by setting up your own site or selling them through a site like Deposit Photos.
There are many ways you can make money as a photographer, such as:
- House listings
- Family portraits
Photography is a great skill to monetize if you have the right equipment and time to use it.
As you can see from the chart below, courtesy of Marketwatch, the median salary for photographers is $20 per hour. Depending on your skill level, you can make significantly more than that.
We have a good friend who started her own photography business several years ago and now makes great money running it as a full-time business.
26. Graphic designer. Graphic designers use computer software to create visual concepts that communicate ideas to a particular audience. They design brochures, websites, logos, flyers, magazines and a variety of ads.
Since most graphic design work is done online, this is a great job you can do from virtually anywhere.
If you have knowledge of and access to graphic design software and have an artistic bent, you can make good money on the side with this side hustle. We have several friends who work as graphic designers in their day job and do it on the side to make even more money.
You can find graphic designer gigs on FlexJobs or Upwork. You can also find gigs on 99Designs. 99Designs lets you bid on contests, as well as be matched up with clients looking for freelance graphic designers.
27. Web designer. You may think a web designer is the same thing as a graphic designer. They’re two very different things, but like graphic design, you can earn great money on the side as a web designer.
If you have web design skills, this is a great gig to have on the side. In fact, we have numerous friends who work from home as a web designer, and they make great money at it.
Learning how to design websites does take some work, and possibly some certifications, but it’s a great way to make money on the side if you have the time and talent.
Like many opportunities to make extra money, you need clients to earn cash. You can find web designer jobs on FlexJobs or Upwork.
28. Freelance writing. I’m partial to freelance writing as my wife started our business by writing on the side. She left her job to take care of our children and started writing as a way to make up for lost income. It took a lot of work but has been well worth it over the years.
There are many opportunities to make money as a freelance writer. Many companies and websites need content. This content can be anything, like:
- Blog posts
- Sales materials
- Press releases
- Marketing materials
- Social media content
You don’t typically need a special degree to become a freelance writer. You simply need to have experience in a particular area and the ability to write coherently.
You can expect to make anywhere from $25 – $50 per blog post to start. As you gain experience and clients, you can charge more. The more specialized you get, the more you can make, especially if you go beyond blog posts.
There are many ways to get writing clients, from Craigslist to Upwork.
29. Self-publish a book. My wife wrote a short book as a gift to my mom for Christmas several years ago. Just out of curiosity we put it on Amazon, and we see money come in each month from sales.
It’s not always a lot, but it’s a nice little stream of passive income we get each month for doing nothing. You can self-publish through sites like CreateSpace, or use direct publishing through Amazon to simplify the process.
30. Do chores for people. Do you enjoy variety in your day and have more than one skill you can use to make money on the side? If so, you can earn extra cash doing chores and other odd jobs for people.
TaskRabbit is the best way to make money doing chores for people. TaskRabbit has been around for years, so there are many people making extra money by completing tasks.
I think what makes TaskRabbit unique is that you can offer just about any errand or task on there.
For example, if you happen to be really great at tiling a bathroom, you can put that skill on TaskRabbit, and people can hire you to do that.
If you want to mow someone’s lawn, go grocery shopping, or pick up a Starbucks latte for a new mom, you can do all of those through TaskRabbit.
TaskRabbit pays out weekly, and like many other ways to run errands for money, you can earn tips on top of your pay.
31. Medical coding and billing. Doctor’s offices pay good money for medical coding and billing experience. If you have experience with medical coding or billing or have extensive medical knowledge, this can be a good income opportunity.
You don’t have to work in an office to make money in medical coding or billing. If you’re wondering how to make money from home fast, this can be a good way to do so.
Aviacode connects you with remote medical providers looking to hire individuals. You can also make money as a medical transcriptionist if you have medical terminology knowledge and can transcribe audio.
32. Teach music lessons. Teaching music lessons is a good way to make money from home by using a talent. We have several friends who teach different musical instruments as a way to supplement their income.
You can teach individuals in your home, or you can travel to their homes to increase earning opportunities. There are many ways to get students, from advertising on Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace, to putting flyers up in music stores or at schools to simple word of mouth.
33. Refurbish antiques. Do you have an eye for a hidden gem that can be returned to former glory? You can make money by refurbishing and flipping antiques.
Refurbishing antiques is more talent than skill, but it can be a great way to bring in some extra cash. If you live in an area with antique shops or flea markets, scope them out for items to refurbish and flip.
We have a good friend who makes several hundred dollars per month flipping items on eBay or in our community.
34. Make jewelry. Making jewelry to sell is similar to refurbishing antiques for cash. There are many items you can make, from earrings to necklaces, to earn money on the side.
This side hustle may require a few extra tools or skills to make money, but there are many opportunities to sell items for cash. Sell items at farmer’s markets, or use eBay or Facebook Marketplace too.
Just make sure to price your items appropriately to cover costs and allow you to make a profit.
35. Become a substitute teacher. The final way to make money on the side with a particular skill is to be a substitute teacher. Substitute teachers make around $125 per day here in Omaha, but it can vary based on where you live.
Substitute teaching is a good way to make extra money on the side for college graduates still looking for a job, or a stay-at-home parent looking to re-enter the workforce.
Requirements vary by state, but often a bachelor’s degree in the chosen topic is all that’s required.
How to Make Money Selling Items
If you’re asking yourself how to make money online from home, look no further than selling items for cash. Like the garage sale idea listed earlier, selling items you no longer use has two benefits – less clutter and more money.
That’s not the only way to make money selling items; you can also build your own online business to sell products. If you want to make money on the side, here are the best options to pursue.
36. Run your own e-commerce store. E-commerce is a big business, with trillions of dollars in sales every year. You can join the e-commerce craze by selling products from your home. While it takes time to get up and running, it can be a lucrative business.
Thanks to drop shipping, you don’t have to store a single item in your home. When a customer orders a product from your site, you get the item from your wholesaler, and it’s shipped by a third party.
Shopify helps you set up an e-commerce site. They provide training resources to help you launch your site, and they also help you design the site, so it looks professional. They also help you manage many of the administrative aspects of running the business from handling payments to managing taxes on purchases.
Shopify offers a free 14-day trial and a variety of paid plans after that. You get to pick which one meets your needs and can change at any time.
Shopify integrates with Amazon and eBay so you can get in front of as many customers as possible. If you’ve ever thought of running your own business, check out our guide on how to make money with Shopify to learn all the necessary steps.
37. Sell your old phone. If you’re like our family, you’ve gone through your share of cell phones. Don’t let those old cell phones collect dust. Old cell phones and other devices can be a great source to make extra money on the side. Plus, you help someone else save money on a new-to-them phone.
There are many sites that buy old cell phones, and most operate in the same way. You tell them the device you have, and they tell you what they will give you for the device.
If you accept their offer, they send a packing slip for your device. The day after they receive it, they pay you via PayPal, send out a check, or send you an Amazon gift card. Below are the two best sites to sell your old phones for cash:
- Buyback Boss: BuyBack Boss is limited to Apple-based devices. They buy iPhone 5c – 8, iPods, and iPads.
- Gazelle: Gazelle buys back a larger selection of devices including: Android and Apple based phones and tablets; Blackberry phones; computers and laptops; and Apple TVs.
As long as your device is in working order, this can be a good way to earn money on the side.
38. Sell your old video games. Video game systems provide hours of fun, but games also go unused or lose their luster. You can make money on the side by selling those video games online.
Like selling old phones, selling old video games is a big business. Scores of gamers are hunting for classic or discounted games. The best site for selling your old video games is SecondSpin.
SecondSpin doesn’t just buy old video games; they also buy:
SecondSpin operates like the phone resellers above. You scan the UPC code of the item, and they give you a value. If you accept their value, they send you a packing slip to mail in the game, and they pay you the day after receiving the item.
Check out our guide on how to sell old electronics for cash for other options to make extra money.
39. Sell your old toys. Noticing a trend here with selling your old items as one of the best ways to make money on the side?
You can sell your old toys for cash online with Decluttr. Decluttr works like the other resellers and can be a quick way to earn money on the side.
Decluttr looks primarily for Legos. If you have other toys, you can sell them at a garage sale, or on Craiglist or Facebook Marketplace.
40. Sell your old clothes. Another great way to make extra money is by selling your old clothes. These can be pieces you no longer like or want, or simply something you’re no longer comfortable wearing.
Women’s clothes tend to sell best, but you can also sell children’s and men’s clothes to earn extra cash. Just make sure the items are gently worn, clean, and free of scrapes or holes.
thredUP is a great option to sell your old clothes for cash. ThredUP is an online consignment store you can use if local consignment stores have been turned you away empty handed.
You won’t earn a lot of money this way, but it can be a nice way to make extra money on the side.
41. Sell your hair. While it might sound odd, selling your hair is a legitimate way to make extra money on the side. People buy hair because:
- They want extensions
- They want a wig for whatever reason
- They want a rarer color
You won’t get rich selling your hair, but it can be a nice way to supplement your income on a one-time basis. Plus, it’ll grow back anyway. Check out HairSellon’s Hair Price Calculator to see how much you might make.
42. Flip items. This isn’t my favorite way to make money on the side as it requires you to spend money. However, many people flip items they find and sell them at a profit.
The best way to flip items is selling them on Amazon through Amazon FBA, which stands for Fulfillment By Amazon. This service lets you send the products you sell to Amazon’s fulfillment warehouse shipping centers.
There, the team will pack and ship your items for you when you receive an order. This cuts out the time and effort you would have spent doing it yourself. This also lets you scale your business and sell more product without having to deal with inventory.
If you’re looking to launch your own Amazon FBA business, I highly recommend checking out The Selling Family and their Amazon Boot Camp, a free course to help get you started selling items on Amazon for profit.
43. Sell your old textbooks. This is a great option for college students looking to make money on the side. Many students use their books for one semester and never open them again.
Selling your old textbooks for cash makes it easier to buy more books or just have some extra spending money.
Amazon Marketplace is a great place to find the value of these books, and potentially even to sell them. You can also put up fliers on your campus, or advertise in the school newspaper to sell your old textbooks to make extra money.
How to Make Extra Money Around Town
There are many options if you want to know how to make money online fast. However, making money on the Internet is not the only game in town. In fact, there are many ways to make money on the side right where you live.
If you want easy ways to earn money on the side, here are the best opportunities:
44. Babysitting. Babysitting is one of the most traditional ways to make extra money and the best way to get money today. The rate you can charge depends on where you live and your level of experience; in our city, the going rate is $10+ per hour.
If you like children this can be a great way to supplement your income, without going the route of starting an in-home daycare.
Sitter.com is a great tool to use if you don’t have a big customer base so clients can leave reviews of your experience – plus Sitter.com lets you find new gigs.
45. Housesitting. How many people do you know who travel on a regular basis? If you can be a warm body, this is money in the bank.
Assuming the homeowner doesn’t mind you being at work during the day, this can be one of the best ways to make extra money while working full-time.
Pay for housesitting in our city is $25+ per day, making this an easy way to make extra money on the side. Pay can increase if the owner wants you to do additional things like care for animals or garden work.
Use HouseSitter.com to create a profile so customers can see your references and experience. Facebook Marketplace and word of mouth are other good options to get clients.
46. Pet sitting. Kennels can be expensive and are not always the best for pets. If you like to spend time with animals, caring for pets can be a great way to make extra money while their owners are on vacation.
The Nextdoor app is a great way to find potential customers. Once you get a few clients, ask them to leave reviews so you can begin to build some referral business.
47. Rent your house. Making money on the side is great, but passive income is even better. Passive income requires little to no work and allows you to focus on other things. Renting a room of your house, or even your entire house when you’re on vacation is a good way to create passive income.
Thanks to sites like Airbnb, you can rent out your home or a spare bedroom to travelers in order to make extra money. You may want to do some light cleaning and maintenance after each guest departs, but you can also hire a cleaner to take care of that for you.
The picture below, courtesy of CNBC, shows what you can expect when listing a property on Airbnb. Keep in mind that each situation varies; you may make more or less.
Good pictures are also a must to highlight the features of your rental. Just make sure your homeowner’s association or landlord allows for renting before taking the leap. Check out our guide on Airbnb host tips
48. Rent your car. If you don’t use your car all the time, renting it can be one of the best ways to make money on the side. You may think it’s weird, but this rent stuff app is a legit way to earn extra cash.
Turo lets you rent your car and monetize the time you don’t use it. Think of Turo as the VRBO or Airbnb of cars. You rent your car out to drivers who have a short-term need – whether they be people in town on vacation or those who need a car because their car is getting repaired.
Income varies, but the Turo site claims you can make up to $6,500 in one year if you have a car worth $20,000 and rent it out 15 days per month. That will vary, of course, based on the value and availability of your car.
If you’d like to make money with Turo, here are some of the requirements:
- The car must be registered in the United States
- You must be at least 21 (if you’re under 25, you must prove at least two years of driving history)
- It must be a 2005 model year car or newer
- It must have less than 130,000 miles
- You must have a clean title
- You must have auto insurance
- You will need to provide the license plate number, make and model and at least one picture of the car to list it
Turo provides coverage for the actual cash value of the car, up to $125,000 so you’re not unprotected against loss or damage.
HyreCar is another alternative to renting your car. The service works much like Turo, but they claim you can earn up to $1,000 per month renting your car on their platform.
49. Yard work. People hate to do yard work and will pay you to do it for them. Take advantage of their laziness. Mow yards, pull weeds or aerate lawns and you can make some nice cash.
Ask around your neighborhood to find people who want help with their yard work. You can also advertise on Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace to get clients.
50. Officiate weddings. Believe it or not, but people other than priests and judges can perform weddings. If you want a rewarding and fun way to make money on the side, you can make several hundred dollars, or a little more, being a wedding officiant.
Each state varies with what they require, but getting ordained can be relatively simple with online sites like the Universal Life Church Monastery providing you the ability to get ordained.
There will be a small cost to get ordained, but that can be well offset by officiating a few weddings.
51. Help people move. Moving is a hassle most like to avoid. If you don’t mind the physical work, this can be a great way to make extra money. People are always moving, so there’s plenty of opportunity.
You can either make money helping people load their moving trucks or simply move items around their home. Facebook Marketplace, Craigslist and your local newspaper are all good resources for finding people who need help moving.
52. Wash windows. We have a friend who has a side business washing windows, and he does quite well at it. He started with a fellow business owner and grew the business from there.
You will need a few supplies to start, but this can be a lucrative side hustle if you make good connections. You can also advertise your services on a site like TaskRabbit to get clients when you’re just starting out.
53. Painting. Anyone can paint. You need very little skill or supplies to do it; you get to be outside, and you can earn extra money on the side.
As with other opportunities, use resources like Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace to find clients.
54. Become a wedding planner. If you’re a strategic planner and can handle a stressful situation, you can make money on the side as a wedding planner. Start out helping friends.
Take pictures and get a testimonial or two. Use them to create a portfolio you can use to market to newlyweds. Get in front of other potential couples with word of mouth marketing.
55. Become an interior designer consultant. Do you have the ability to make a room, better yet a house, pop? If so, you can make money on the side as an interior designer consultant.
The key with this opportunity is to get good pictures of the finished product, and foster worth of mouth business. You can work with realtors who need the services for their clients or use social media to get your name out.
The consultant our realtor used on our last move makes six-figures per year, so there’s definitely opportunity to make good money.
56. Become a referee. Do you live in a medium to large-sized community? If so, you can earn money on the side as a referee.
Rec leagues and organized leagues need a lot of referees. You can work several games each weekend and earn extra money.
57. Deliver newspapers. Yes, delivering newspapers is still a thing. You may think people only get their news online today, but many pay to have the newspaper delivered to their homes.
Our friend has delivered papers for years to make money on the side. If you don’t mind early mornings, this can be a great way to make extra money.
Miscellaneous Ways to Make More Money on the Side
There are so many ways to make money fast. However, not each way to earn extra money fits into one of the above categories. To overlook the below opportunities may very well likely leave money on the table.
If you want other ways to make money on the side, consider some of these options.
58. Investing. Investing in the stock market is a great way to supplement your income. Saving for retirement is essential, but you can also invest in dividend-paying stocks to meet your cash flow needs – just remember you may have to pay taxes on those dividends.
We prefer the dividend reinvestment approach to investing, but using dividends to create a stream of cash is a legit way to invest. Below are the best platforms to invest in the stock market:
- Betterment: Betterment is a robo-advisor, so they manage your investing for you. You tell Betterment what your goals are and they construct a low-cost portfolio for you and manage it to ensure it’s on track to reach your goals, which is great for first-time investors. Betterment also has no minimum balance requirement to start.
- Fundrise: If you don’t want to invest in the stock market, you can invest in real estate. Many people like the idea of investing in real estate, but it can be cost-prohibitive if you don’t have the funds to buy a property or the skill to manage it. Crowdfunded real estate investing changes all that, allowing you to invest in commercial or residential properties online. You only need $500 to start investing in one of their real estate eReits.
Roofstock is another good choice to invest in real estate. The platform focuses on turnkey properties to rent. No minimum balance is required to invest with Roofstock, though you must have 20 percent to put down and can invest within an IRA.
Read our Roofstock review to learn more about the platform.
Finally, Streitwise is an excellent real estate platform to consider using. The platform allows non-accredited investors and has a minimum balance requirement of at least $1,000. The platform focuses on retail and commercial real estate investment opportunities.
You can learn more about available platforms in our guide on the best real estate crowdfunding sites.
Investing might feel scary, but with a little bit of work, it can be a great way to earn more money on the side.
59. Scoop dog poop. No, this isn’t a glamorous job but someone has to do it. You can post your services on Craigslist or Facebook Local for free.
I know several people who do this on the side. They get to be outside and make money on the side – win/win.
60. Move to a money market account. Interest rates are horrible and aren’t a valid way to earn anything. I remember when I was a kid most savings accounts paid five percent on your spare cash.
You may not find anything like that today, but money markets can be a good way to earn a little extra cash on your savings. If you don’t access your savings on a regular basis, moving to a money market can be a better option for your cash.
CIT Bank is one of the best options in the banking space. They pay .55 percent (more than the national average) in their Savings Builder account, have just a $100 minimum opening balance requirement, and are FDIC insured to $250,000.
You do have to deposit $100 per month to earn this rate.
This provides some liquidity, so you don’t give up flexibility. Check out our CIT Bank review to get a better idea of how they work.
61. Sell plasma. Selling plasma may not be pretty, but you can typically make several hundred dollars per month doing it. I did this for several months while paying off debt and it gave me a good chunk of money to throw at my debt.
Each plasma center has its own requirements and payment amounts, but if you’re in a pinch, this can be a good way to make extra money on the side. Check out our guide on how to make money donating plasma to learn what’s needed to donate plasma.
62. Get a part-time job. This isn’t our personal favorite way to make money on the side, but you can always get a part-time job for some extra cash.
Just make sure the time spent working at the job doesn’t infringe on other, higher income potential side hustles.
63. Be a professional cuddler. This is likely the strangest way to make extra money on the side, but it does work.
You can make good money cuddling with a stranger, with many companies charging $80 per hour for a cuddle – the Snuggle Buddies being one such company.
If cuddling with a stranger doesn’t gross you out, this can be a great way to make more money on the side.
64. Take on overtime at work. If you need to make extra money fast, often the best way is to ask for overtime at work. This may not work every time you have a need for quick cash, but it can be great for a one-time need.
65. Ask for a raise. When was the last time you got a raise? Asking for a raise is the best way to make extra money at your day job. If it has been over a year since your salary increased, then it’s time to ask for one.
The worst you can get is a “no,” and it’s likely the easiest way to make extra money for something you’re already doing.
FAQs of Making Extra Money on the Side
There can be a lot of questions around how to make money on the side. Here are some of the most common ones we’ve seen.
Do I need advanced skills to make extra money on the side?
No! Many people miss out on extra money opportunities because they believe they need advanced skills to have a profitable side hustle. That is simply not the case.
Many of the best ways to make money on the side require little to no special skills. All that’s required for many side hustles is the willingness to work and time. If you have those, then there are plenty of opportunities to make extra money.
What opportunities to earn extra money should I avoid?
There are thousands, if not millions, of ways to make extra money floating around online. Many of them are scams.
Avoid all of the following:
- Requesting a cash investment
- Promises of unreasonable income potential
- Participating in a pyramid scheme
- No clear explanation of how compensation works
If you avoid the above red flags, you will generally have no problem. For every money making scam you find, there’s at least one legit way to make money on the side that’s profitable.
Can I really make money on the side from home?
This is another common question we receive from readers. Many people don’t realize there are legitimate work-from-home jobs out there.
As you can see from our list, there are many ways to make money on the side from home that are legit. You can run a writing business from home, or you can do something less skilled like babysitting at your home.
The possibilities are endless; you just need to find an option that works for you.
Is it possible to start your own business from a side hustle?
Many a side hustle starts with a dream of becoming a small business. The reality is that it’s not that easy to turn a side hustle into a full-fledged business.
While it is possible to leave your job for a side hustle, it takes a lot of time and work. It’s important to know your goals and have a well thought out plan before leaving your day job.
In our case, we had to see that we could replace a majority of our income before even considering taking the plunge. A healthy emergency fund and stable of clients isn’t too bad either.
What should I do with my extra income?
Are you earning a steady flow of cash from your side job? Congrats! Now you get to decide how best to spend that extra money.
The answer goes back to your goals. Foolishly spending the money is only a waste of time, so determine where the money makes the most sense for you.
As you allocate your new-found money, keep taxes in mind. Taxes are a harsh reality for many side hustlers. We were surprised with our first tax bill and decided to never let that happen again.
You will likely owe 30 to 35 percent of your side hustle income to the IRS. The best way to manage this is to set up a separate savings account and take 30 or 35 percent of each payment you receive and put it into that savings account.
When it comes time to pay your taxes, just move over the money you’ve been saving.
There are many ways to make money on the side. Don’t give into the myth that you don’t have what it takes to land a profitable side hustle. Get started with one of the side hustle ideas above; you never know where it will take you!
What do you do to make extra money on the side? What’s one side hustle idea has not worked out for you? Would you ever leave your day job to work full-time on your side hustle?
John is the founder of Frugal Rules, a dad, husband and veteran of the financial services industry whose writing has been featured in Forbes, CNBC, Yahoo Finance and more.
Passionate about helping people learn from his mistakes, John shares financial tools and tips to help you enjoy the freedom that comes from living frugally. One of his favorite tools is Personal Capital , which he used to plan for retirement and keep track of his finances in less than 15 minutes each month.
Another one of John's passions is helping people save $80 per month by axing their expensive cable subscriptions and replacing them with more affordable ones, like Hulu with Live TV.
Latest posts by John Schmoll (see all)
- 33 Signs You’re Financially Stable - September 18, 2020
- How to Multiply Your Money: 5 Real Ways to Double Your Money - September 16, 2020
- 11 Best Ways to Invest $100 or Less - September 11, 2020