7 Best Cell Phone Plans for Seniors [2020 Update]
Some of the links in this post are from our sponsors. Read our disclosure to see how we make money.
Finding the right cell phone plan is not one size fits all. When it comes to cell phone plans for seniors, the best options are affordable, straightforward, and have no surprises when it comes to billing.
Regardless of if you’re a senior who wants a simple flip phone or are tech-savvy and want something with plenty of features, there is a phone plan that will meet your needs. While some senior phone plans specialize in your specific needs, there are many cheap cell phone plans that are just as good.
Our guide shares the best no-contract cell plans for seniors.
|Service||Cost||Data||Mins.||Text||Network||Go to Site|
|Tello||$14||1GB||No limit||No limit||Sprint|
|Ting||$10||$5/GB||No limit||No limit||T-Mobile, Verizon|
|Mint Mobile||$15||Depends on plan||No limit||No limit||T-Mobile|
|Twigby||$15||600 MB||No limit||No limit||Sprint, Verizon|
|Republic Wireless||$15||$5/GB||No limit||No limit||Sprint, T-Mobile|
|Consumer Cellular||$25||500MB||Unlimited||Unlimited||AT&T, T-Mobile|
Best Cell Phone Plans for Seniors
You might believe you need to sign a contract to get cell phone service. Thanks to Mobile Virtual Network Operators (MVNOs), that’s not always the case. MVNOs piggyback on cell towers of legacy carriers, like Verizon, allowing you to pay less.
Here are the best cheap phone plans for seniors.
Tello gives seniors access to some of the top prepaid rates on the market. The carrier has 4G LTE coverage and operates on the Sprint network. Minutes can be used to call Canada, Mexico, and China.
Plans can be set up to renew automatically every month. You can also cancel at any time without penalty.
Depending on your needs, you can customize your plan. All plans at Tello include unlimited talk and text.
Here are the plans currently available at Tello:
- 1GB of data = $10 per month
- 2GB of data = $14 per month
- 4GB of data = $19 per month
- Unlimited data = $39 per month
If you don’t need unlimited talk and text, plans go as low as $5 per month.
Tello is rated as one of the best cell phone plans for seniors because there is no charge for upgrading to a different plan. Any unused minutes roll over to the next month.
Another perk of Tello is that it gives customers the option of free tethering. Tethering turns a mobile device into a modem or router to connect other devices to the internet.
This is great for seniors who travel and need web access.
- Ability to make international calls
- Customizable plans
- Free tethering
- Works with both Android and iOS devices
- No roaming, but operates on Wi-Fi
- Phones are more expensive
|Tello - no contract phone service|
Cost: $5 to $39 per month
Coverage on the Sprint network.
Ting is one of the best phone plans for seniors who don’t want an expensive monthly bill, especially after its pricing change. The provider has no-contract cell phones, allowing you to leave whenever you wish.
Customers get unlimited talk and text for only $10 per month. You only pay for the data you use, which is just $5 per GB.
Ting operates on two networks: T-Mobile and Verizon, so you have reliable coverage.
Frugal Rules readers receive a $50 credit when signing up, effectively providing you several months of free service.
You can either bring your own phone to Ting or buy one from the provider.
- Provides coverage on two carriers
- You can bring your own phone
- Provides fully customizable plans
- You only pay for what you use
- No additional cost for calls to 60+ international countries
- No in-person service, which is common with MVNOs
|Ting Wireless - click now for a $50 credit!|
Cost: $10/mo - unlimited talk/text + $5/GB
Coverage on T-Mobile and Verizon networks.
3. Mint Mobile
Mint Mobile is one of the best phone plans for seniors. The service offers plans as low as $15 per month. That includes unlimited talk and text plus 3GB of data per month.
They recently launched an unlimited everything plan that costs just $30 a month. It’s tough to beat that price in comparison with other no-contract cell phone plans.
Mint Mobile sells plans in bulk or in three, six, or twelve-month increments. You also receive a free SIM card when you join Mint Mobile.
*Related: for a limited time, get three months of service for free when you buy any three month plan!*
If you’re in an area where 5G is available, you will receive that at no additional fee.
- Free 7-day trial
- Free tethering
- You can use both Android and iPhones
- Free calls to Canada and Mexico
- Unlimited data for just $30 per month
- Mint Mobile devices have lower priority on the T-Mobile network
|Mint Mobile - generous data plans!|
Cost: $15 per month
No contract phone service with coverage on the T-Mobile network.
Twigby isn’t specifically a phone plan for seniors, but their low price warrants their inclusion on our list. The service operates on both Verizon and Sprint, allowing them to provide quality coverage throughout the country.
Twigby entices new customers by offering 25 percent off for the first six months of service.
Texts are unlimited. Twigby sells minutes and data in different buckets. Here is what they offer for minutes:
- 300 minutes – $9 per month
- 500 minutes – $11 per month
- Unlimited – $13 per month
Data comes in the following buckets:
- 200MB – $3 per month
- 1GB per month – $6 per month
- 2GB per month – $10 per month
- 3GB per month – $15 per month
- 5GB per month – $20 per month
- 10GB per month – $30 per month
As an example, if you choose unlimited minutes and 3 GB of data, you would only pay $21 per month for the first six months. You’d pay $28 after that.
- Runs on two networks, Verizon and Sprint
- International calling to Canada, China, and Mexico
- Plans as low as $13 for unlimited talk and text
- Fully customizable plans
- Works with both Android and iOS devices
- Online only, no retail locations
|Twigby - Get a 25% discount for the first 6 months!|
Cost: $3 to $30 per month
Pay-as-you-go, no contract phone service with coverage on the Verizon and Sprint networks.
5. Republic Wireless
Republic Wireless is one of the leading no-contract cell phone providers. The company allows customers to use Wi-Fi to make phone calls and send texts. You can use a cellular network when you aren’t near a reliable Wi-Fi source.
The provider operates on the Sprint and T-Mobile networks. This combination is how Republic Wireless can offer competitive pricing for their service plans.
Pricing is painless with Republic Wireless. The only available plan is:
- Unlimited talk and text = $15 per month
- Unlimited data = $5 per 1 GB
If you’re a senior who doesn’t need a lot of data and relies heavily on Wi-Fi, Republic Wireless is a top choice.
*Related: Now through December 31, 2020, you can get two unlimited talk and text lines for just $25 per month for an entire year!*
If you want additional data it’s just $5 per GB. You can add it right from your phone.
- They offer a 14-day money-back guarantee
- No contracts
- They pay you back for unused data each month
- Operates on Sprint and T-Mobile
- You can make free international calls from anywhere in the U.S.
- Only works with Android devices
- You must purchase data, but it is inexpensive
|Republic Wireless - flexible plans w/ NO overage fees!|
Cost: $15 per month
No contract phone service with coverage on the Sprint and T-Mobile networks.
GreatCall is an excellent alternative for seniors who want an affordable way to make calls without a lot of data. The company is popular for their Jitterbug phone for seniors. Plans start at $14.99 for 200 minutes and $3 for 300 texts per month.
The provider charges a one-time $99 fee to set up your device. There are no contracts.
You can’t bring your own phone to GreatCall because they connect your device to medical alert services and other healthcare services.
You can get a flip phone or a smart device. However, the options they do have are perfect for seniors. All phones have larger buttons and are designed with seniors in mind.
With the click of a button, GreatCall agents are on the phone to try and solve a problem big or small. When one of those calls is made, a link can be sent to family members so they know that it took place.
The GreatCall Youtube channel offers seniors easy to follow instructions on a variety of topics. It even provides a video on how to set up the smartphone.
- Connection to medical alert providers
- Senior-specific features like daily health tips and check-in calls
- Devices with larger buttons
- Can’t bring your own phone
Compare plans at GreatCall to see how much you can save.
7. Consumer Cellular
Consumer Cellular is one of the more well-known cell phone plans for seniors. In fact, the company focuses on customers 55 and over.
The provider is an MVNO. You choose whether to have service on AT&T or T-Mobile.
Consumer Cellular offers a variety of plans, including:
- 250 talk minutes, unlimited texts, and 500GB of data for $17.50 per month
- Unlimited talk, unlimited texts, and 3GB of data for $22.50 per month
Plans are fully customizable. You can change plans monthly based on your needs.
Flip phones with Consumer Cellular start as low as $30. Similar to other MVNOs, you can bring your own device. This can either be a flip phone or smartphone.
Consumer Cellular allows customers to receive convenient usage alerts so it’s easy to keep track of data. Customers who go over their data allowance will be automatically upgraded with no overage fee.
- Operates on AT&T and T-Mobile platform
- Works with Android and iOS devices
- AARP discounts available
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- No unlimited data plans
Compare plans at Consumer Cellular to see how much you can save.
Whether you’re looking for a simple option to make calls or you want higher data capabilities, any of the senior phone plans on this list will fit your needs.
You don’t need to spend a lot of money on your cell phone plan. Affordable phone plans let you have reliable coverage that’s tailored to your needs.
What are some other cell phone plans for seniors you’ve used and liked? How much do you spend on cell service each month?
Latest posts by Choncé (see all)
- Ting Review: Get Cell Service for Under $25 Per Month! - November 15, 2020
- 11 Simple Ways to Lower Your Monthly Bills and Save Money - November 13, 2020
- 17 Places to Make Copies Near Me for Cheap - November 11, 2020