How Many People Can Watch Hulu at a Time?
Some of the links in this post are from our sponsors. Read our disclosure to see how we make money.
The question of how many people can use Hulu at once has always been an important one for cord cutters. It has become more pressing now as many people are stuck at home. When everyone in your family is looking for something to do, knowing how many people can watch Hulu at a time matters.
There are a lot of streaming providers out there.
Some allow you to watch content on one screen at a time while others offer unlimited screens.
When you’re trying to figure out which streaming service is best for you, the number of screens you can stream on at once makes a difference.
Here, we’ll break down how the popular streaming service works and show how larger families in need of more screens can manage their Hulu account sharing for maximum flexibility.
How Many People Can Watch Hulu at a Time?
Like so many streaming services, Hulu has defined how many people can be on Hulu. By default, up to two people can stream Hulu on different devices at the same time.
This is the standard for basic Hulu.
If you move up to Hulu Live and add the unlimited screens add-on option for $9.99 per month, you can stream content on unlimited screens.
Unfortunately, the unlimited screens option cannot be added to a basic Hulu account.
As a recap, here is how Hulu vs. Hulu Live stacks up on cost, content and features.
- Cost – Hulu costs $5.99 per month. Hulu Live (sometimes called Hulu Plus or Hulu with Live TV) costs $54.99 per month.
- Content – Hulu provides access to all its original content (like Hulu TV shows and Hulu movies) and its large library of shows on other networks (like NBC, ABC, CBS, HGTV, History Channel, and more).
- Hulu Live includes live streaming content, original Hulu shows and a large library of on demand content.
Which one is best for you depends on what you want to watch.
If it helps, Hulu is like Netflix. Hulu Live is like Netflix plus cable. You get a bunch of on demand content and live TV.
Still, if your main concern is how many people can watch Hulu at the same time, you will want to go with Hulu Live and the unlimited screens add-on, which will bring your monthly cost to $64.98 per month.
This is admittedly a bit of a price tag. However, if you have cable now, you can cut the cord and still come out ahead. Plus, you’ll be able to watch Hulu on as many screens as you want.
Hulu Unlimited Screens
We’ve covered this above, but Hulu Unlimited Screens is exactly what it sounds like. You can watch all of Hulu’s channels on as many screens as you want at once.
So, if you’re asking, ‘how many screens can you watch on Hulu?’ with this plan, the answer is unlimited!
Here are the details of Hulu’s unlimited screens option:
- You have to subscribe to Hulu Live (costs $54.99 per month)
- You must add the Unlimited Screens Add-On (costs $9.99 per month)
- You can stream all the devices connected to your home network at the same time
- When you travel, you can also stream Hulu on up to three different mobile devices
- If you add premium channels like HBO, Cinemax, SHOWTIME, or STARZ to your Hulu subscription, there is a limit on the number of screens you can stream Hulu on at once and that number is five. Three of those five screens can be outside your home network.
So, let’s break down this home network idea. A home network is the internet connection you designate as your “home” when you subscribe to Hulu Live.
Hulu forces you to designate a home network within 30 days of subscribing to Hulu Live. When you stream Hulu from your home, you are allowed to watch content on up to two screens at once.
That is unless you add the Unlimited Screens add-on. Then, you can stream on as many screens as you want.
Let’s say you go on a business trip or travel to visit family or friends in another state and want to watch Hulu Live while you’re on the road.
I remember visiting my parents in California and sitting in the airport waiting for my flight. My son was with me and his iPad, which had been entertaining him, suddenly ran out of juice.
What was I going to do? He was bored and we still had an hour and a half until our flight.
I looked down at my phone and saw the Hulu app and remembered that as a Hulu Live subscriber, I could log on and watch live TV right there from the airport.
Best of all, I was connected to the airport’s Wi-Fi network, which meant I could stream without having to worry about using up my data.
I logged in and saw a notification that I was outside my home network. Hulu asked me to confirm my account information and then, voila, I was in.
I handed my phone to my son, who was more than happy to watch whatever NFL game was on, and went back to work.
It was a win-win for both of us.
It demonstrates the benefit of being able to stream on multiple screens at once. While my son was watching Hulu Live in the airport, my family was watching what they wanted to back home – on three different screens, to boot.
Hulu just requires you to access it on your mobile device at home once every 30 days. Doing so maintains the connection between your device and your home network.
Then, it’s easy to watch your favorite shows at home and on the road. All of these benefits are for Hulu Live subscribers.
If you sign up for Hulu Basic for $5.99 per month, or ad-free Hulu for $11.99 per month, the most number of screens you’ll ever be able to watch Hulu on at once is two.
It won’t matter if you are at home, or on the road. Whether or not you subscribe to premium channels makes no difference.
The number of screens for Hulu basic subscribers tops out at two.
What Premium Channels Can I Add?
We mentioned this above, but one of the nice features of Hulu Live is that you can add on premium channels, like the following:
- HBO: $14.99 per month
- Cinemax: $9.99 per month
- SHOWTIME: $10.99 per month
- STARZ: $8.99 per month
- STARZ + SHOWTIME: $14.99 per month
We enjoy HBO’s content and so subscribe to HBO Now. However, this adds in the hassle of managing payments and logins for two different streaming services.
If you already know you want to subscribe to one of the above premium channels, make it easy on yourself by signing up for Hulu Live and adding one or more of them to your account.
If you want to be able to watch Hulu Live on more than two screens at once while you are at home or on the road, add the Unlimited Screens feature for $9.99 per month.
Just remember that the maximum number of screens on which you can watch content from a premium channel is five.
Hopefully, this won’t be a problem. If it is, try setting up a schedule in your household. Then, different people can “reserve” blocks of time to watch their favorite premium channel content.
With up to five screens available at once (and three of those off your home network) you shouldn’t have a problem. If you do, a schedule should make it possible for everyone to get what they want.
Can You Watch Hulu at Two Different Houses?
When answering the question of how many people can watch Hulu at a time, it’s natural for this issue to arise. Many people want to know if it’s possible to watch Hulu at two different houses at the same time and on the same account.
It makes sense.
If you have a child who splits time between two homes, it’s natural to want to know if one Hulu account will cover that child wherever he or she is.
Unfortunately, Hulu has spoken on this matter.
They’ve said you can only designate one home network per subscriber. This leaves you with two options.
- Sign up for two different Hulu accounts (double the cost).
- Provide a mobile device for use outside of your home network.
The second option is the most cost-feasible. Unless the second home also wants to watch Hulu all the time, it makes more financial sense to create one Hulu account and watch it on a device when outside your home.
Just remember that will limit you to one screen at home, unless you subscribe to Hulu Live and add the Unlimited Screens add on.
How to Watch TV on the Hulu App
One of the nice features of streaming services, like Hulu, over cable is that you can watch your favorite shows anytime, anywhere on almost any device.
Say you’re traveling and want to watch Hulu on your phone. Or, you’re at a coffee shop and want to take a break from work or studying to watch a show on your iPad, other tablet or other device.
Hulu makes it easy to watch TV on their app. Just do the following.
- Download and install the Hulu app from the Google Play or Apple App Store.
- Open the Hulu app on your device.
- Enter your login credentials (username and password).
- Start watching TV!
It’s really that easy. If you have Hulu Live, you’ll see a button called “watch live.” Click on it to watch live streaming content.
Otherwise, browse Hulu’s large on-demand content library and find something you want to watch.
How to Fix the “Too Many Screens Error
If you try to watch Hulu or Hulu Live on too many screens at once, you will see an error message appear on your TV or device. That message will say:
“Too many screens.”
Pretty simple, right? Here are the reasons you’ll see that message:
- You are trying to watch Hulu on more than two screens at once
- You have Hulu Live and the Unlimited Screens add-on, but are trying to watch content on more than three screens outside of your home network.
- You have Hulu Live, the Unlimited Screens add-on, and one or more premium channels. You are trying to watch that premium content on more than five screens at once. Or, on more than three screens at once outside your home network.
The best solution? Ask the people with access to your Hulu account who’s watching and work out a compromise so everyone can get what they want.
If you don’t fall in to one of the above three categories, here’s what you can do.
- Go to your Hulu account page on a computer and sign in.
- Select “My Account” and then “Manage Devices.”
- A window will pop up. Inside will be all the devices registered to your Hulu account. Delete ones that don’t belong there or are old. To delete a device, just select the device and click “remove.”
If you’re still seeing the “too many screens” error, there is something else you can do. You can log out of all the web browsers you’ve used to watch Hulu recently.
Too many browsers could be creating a false error. To log out of web browsers, follow these steps.
- Sign in to your Hulu account on a computer.
- Click “Your Account” and then “Privacy and Settings” and then “Protect Your Account.”
- A window will pop up. Inside it, select “log out of all computers.”
If you still see the error, reach out to Hulu support for help.
What Devices Can You Use to Watch Hulu?
Hulu regularly updates the devices compatible with its service. As you can see from the list below, there are many ways to watch Hulu.
Since Hulu offers two kinds of service (Hulu Live and Hulu Basic), our list is split into those categories as well.
Watch Hulu Live on These Devices
- Android phones and tablets
- Apple TV (4th generation or later)
- Echo Show
- Fire Tablets
- Fire TV and Fire TV Stick
- iPhones and iPads
- LG TV (select models)
- Nintendo Switch
- Mac and PC browsers
- PlayStation 3 (Live TV not supported)
- PlayStation 4 (Live TV not supported)
- Roku and Roku Stick (select models)
- Samsung TV (select models)
- VIZIO SmartCast TVs
- Windows 10
- Xbox 360
Watch Hulu Basic on These Devices
- Android TV
- Apple TV (2nd & 3rd generation)
- LG TVs and Blu-ray players (select models)
- Roku and Roku Stick (select models)
- Samsung TVs and Blu-ray players (select models)
- Sony TVs and Blu-ray players (select models)
- VIZIO TVs (select models)
As you can see, there really is no shortage of devices on which to watch Hulu or Hulu Live. No matter how many screens you watch Hulu on, you’ll find it easy to do.
How Many Profiles Can You Have on Hulu?
Up to six people can create a profile within a Hulu account. When you create a Hulu profile, you can choose to make it general or ‘child.’
General profiles can see all Hulu content. Child profiles are limited to shows appropriate for kids to watch.
If you’re asking this question because you want to share your Hulu account with someone else, it really is best to maintain your own, separate account.
However, if you do want to share your account, it’s as easy as providing your login credentials to the person you want to share your account with.
Keep your content preferences separate by asking the person to set up their own profile. When each of you login, you will just select your profile to see the content tailored to your interests.
Bottom Line: How Many People Can Watch Hulu at Once?
Hopefully you are not still wondering how many people can watch Hulu at once. But if you’re asking, ‘can two people watch Hulu at the same time?’ the answer is yes!
You can only stream Hulu on two screens at a time, unless you choose the Unlimited Screens add-on.
While it will cost you $9.99 per month on top of your Hulu Live subscription, you’ll be able to watch Hulu on as many screens as you want.
If you have a large family and are concerned about having more than two ways to watch Hulu at the same time, consider signing up for Hulu Live and adding the Unlimited Screens option.
Try Hulu Live risk-free with Hulu’s free 7-day trial. Select the Unlimited Screens add-on and see if you use them all. If not, keep the subscription and remove the add-on without paying any fees!
What do you look for in a streaming provider? How much do you pay for cable or streaming services per month? How many screens does your family need to watch content at once?
Latest posts by Nicole (see all)
- 8 Best Alternatives to Sling TV to Live Stream TV - June 29, 2020
- How to Watch Lifetime Without Cable: 4 Top Options - June 26, 2020
- Hulu vs. Hulu Live: Which is Best for Your Needs? - June 26, 2020