The quick answer: Hulu subscribers can watch TV on two screens at once. If you sign up for Hulu Live, you can add the unlimited screens feature for $9.99 per month.
When you’re trying to figure out which streaming service is best for you, the number of screens you can stream on at once makes a difference.
Here, we’ll break down how the popular streaming service works and show how larger families in need of more screens can manage their Hulu account sharing for maximum flexibility.
How Many People Can Watch Hulu at a Time?
By default, subscribers can stream Hulu on two different devices at the same time. This is the standard for basic Hulu.
If you move up to Hulu Live and add the unlimited screens add-on option for $9.99 per month, you can stream content on unlimited screens.
Unfortunately, the unlimited screens option cannot be added to a basic account.
As a recap, here is how Hulu vs. Hulu Live stacks up on cost, content and features.
- Cost – Hulu costs $5.99 per month. Hulu Live (sometimes called Hulu Plus or Hulu with Live TV) costs $64.99 per month.
- Content – Hulu provides access to all its original content (like Hulu TV shows and Hulu movies) and its large library of shows on other networks (like NBC, ABC, CBS, HGTV, History Channel, and more).
- Hulu Live includes live streaming content, originals and a large library of on demand content.
Which one is best for you depends on what you want to watch.
Still, if your main concern is how many people can watch Hulu at the same time, you will want to go with Hulu Live and the unlimited screens add-on, which will bring your monthly cost to $64.99 per month.
This is admittedly a bit of a price tag. However, if you have cable now, you can cut the cord and still come out ahead. Plus, you’ll be able to watch Hulu on as many screens as you want.
Hulu Unlimited Screens is exactly what it sounds like. You can watch all of Hulu’s channels on as many screens as you want at once. Here are the details of Hulu’s unlimited screens option:
- You have to subscribe to Hulu Live (costs $64.99 per month)
- You must add the Unlimited Screens Add-On (costs $9.99 per month)
- You can stream all the devices connected to your home network at the same time
- When you travel, you can also stream Hulu on up to three different mobile devices
- If you add premium channels like HBO, Cinemax, SHOWTIME, or STARZ to your Hulu subscription, there is a limit on the number of screens you can stream Hulu on at once and that number is five. Three of those five screens can be outside your home network.
What is a Home Network?
A home network is the internet connection you designate as your “home” when you subscribe to Hulu Live.
The streaming service forces you to designate a home network within 30 days of subscribing to Hulu Live. When you stream from your home, you are allowed to watch content on up to two screens at once.
*Related: Not sure if Hulu Live or YouTube TV is best for your needs? Read our YouTube TV vs. Hulu Live comparison to see how they stack up.
That is unless you add the Unlimited Screens add-on. Then, you can stream on as many screens as you want.
Hulu just requires you to access it on your mobile device at home once every 30 days. Doing so maintains the connection between your device and your home network.
Then, it’s easy to watch your favorite shows at home and on the road. All of these benefits are for Hulu Live subscribers.
Can You Watch Hulu at Two Different Houses?
If you have a child who splits time between two homes, it’s natural to want to know if one Hulu account will cover that child wherever he or she is.
Unfortunately, Hulu has said you can only designate one home network per subscriber. This leaves you with two options.
- Sign up for two different accounts (double the cost).
- Provide a mobile device for use outside of your home network.
The second option is the most cost-feasible. Unless the second home also wants to watch Hulu all the time, it makes more financial sense to create one Hulu account and watch it on a device when outside your home.
How to Watch TV on the Hulu App
It’s easy to watch TV on the app. Just do the following.
- Download and install the Hulu app from the Google Play or Apple App Store.
- Open the app on your device.
- Enter your login credentials (username and password).
- Start watching TV.
If you have Hulu Live, you’ll see a button called “watch live.” Click on it to watch live streaming content.
Otherwise, browse Hulu’s large on-demand content library and find something you want to watch.
How to Fix the “Too Many Screens” Error
If you try to watch Hulu or Hulu Live on too many screens at once, you will see an error message appear on your TV or device. That message will say:
“Too many screens.”
Here are the reasons you’ll see that message:
- You are trying to watch Hulu on more than two screens at once
- You have Hulu Live and the Unlimited Screens add-on, but are trying to watch content on more than three screens outside of your home network.
- You have Hulu Live, the Unlimited Screens add-on, and one or more premium channels. You are trying to watch that premium content on more than five screens at once. Or, on more than three screens at once outside your home network.
The best solution? Ask the people with access to your account who’s watching and work out a compromise so everyone can get what they want.
If you don’t fall in to one of the above three categories, here’s what you can do.
- Go to your account page on a computer and sign in.
- Select “My Account” and then “Manage Devices.”
- >A window will pop up. Inside will be all the devices registered to your account. Delete ones that don’t belong there or are old. To delete a device, just select the device and click “remove.”
If you’re still seeing the “too many screens” error, there is something else you can do. You can log out of all the web browsers you’ve used to watch Hulu recently.
Too many browsers could be creating a false error. To log out of web browsers, follow these steps.
- Sign in to your Hulu account on a computer.
- Click “Your Account” and then “Privacy and Settings” and then “Protect Your Account.”
- A window will pop up. Inside it, select “log out of all computers.”
If you still see the error, reach out to Hulu support for help.
How Many Profiles Can You Have on Hulu?
Up to six people can create a profile within a Hulu account. You can choose to make each account “general” or “child.”
General profiles can see all content. Child profiles are limited to shows appropriate for kids to watch.
If you’re asking this question because you want to share your Hulu account with someone else, it really is best to maintain your own, separate account.
However, if you do want to share your account, it’s as easy as providing your login credentials to the person you want to share your account with.
Keep your content preferences separate by asking the person to set up their own profile. When each of you login, you will just select your profile to see the content tailored to your interests.
You can only stream Hulu on two screens at a time, unless you choose the Unlimited Screens add-on.
While it will cost you $9.99 per month on top of your Hulu Live subscription, you’ll be able to watch Hulu on as many screens as you want.
If you have a large family and are concerned about having more than two ways to watch at the same time, consider signing up for Hulu Live and adding the Unlimited Screens option.
Try Hulu Live risk-free with Hulu’s free 7-day trial. Select the Unlimited Screens add-on and see if you use them all. If not, keep the subscription and remove the add-on without paying any fees!
What do you look for in a streaming provider? How much do you pay for cable or streaming services per month? How many screens does your family need to watch content at once?