51 Great Ways to Make Extra Money This Summer
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure page for more info.
Want to make extra money this summer but don’t know where to start or that you can’t earn extra money? There are many ways to make money over the summer, even if you feel like you don’t have much skill. You simply need to have a goal in mind and be willing to think outside the box. I can think of many ways why you might want to earn extra money – from needing to pay off debt, saving up to buy a new house, saving for retirement or no reason at all. The great thing about summer is there are added seasonal ways to make extra money.
Truth be told, you really shouldn’t only be looking for money making opportunities in the summer – why take the rest of the year off from earning extra income? Like I mentioned earlier, there are a number of unique opportunities present in the summer that allow for many to make extra cash. Some of these opportunities won’t allow you to get rich quickly but they can provide a little extra cash to stretch your budget further.
I do have to mention one thing before I get started with the list of ways to make extra money this summer. If you believe you don’t have the skills or ability to make income I have one thing to tell you – don’t believe that lie! Some things require advanced skill, but many don’t. Assuming you have basic life skills, you can monetize virtually anything – you just have to want it and think outside the box.
Awesome Ways to Make Extra Money This Summer
- Housesitting – How many people do you know who are going on vacation this summer? We paid a friend $200 for about a week and a half last year to stay at our house. If you can be a warm body, this is money in the bank!
- Taking surveys –Taking surveys won’t allow you to get rich quick, but can be a nice way to make some extra money for your budget. Some even allow you to make money by watching TV shows or testing free products. You can sign up for some of the top survey sites like Opinion Outpost,VIP Voice, Survery Junkie, Earning Station, OneOpinion, ProOpinion, Harris Poll, Reward TV, Pinecone Research,Vindale Research, CashCrate, Nielsen Digital Voice, National Consumer Panel and Mobile Xpression to earn extra money in your free time. Sign up for a few and increase your earning ability!
- Yard work – People hate to do yard work. Take advantage of their laziness. Mow yards, pull weeds or aerate lawns and you can make some nice cash.
- Lifeguard – You might still have time to be a lifeguard. In many cases you can make at least $10 per hour if you’re CPR certified.
- Drive an ice cream truck – I personally couldn’t do this as hearing the same incessant song all day would drive me crazy, but hey, if it’s your thing you can make nice money.
- Be a caddie – Golfing is an expensive hobby to like, but it’s nothing for a caddie to make at least $50 to $100 for a few hours of work walking around with a bag.
- Walk dogs – Dogs need to walk too! Ask people in your neighborhood or advertise on Craigslist and this can be a great way to make some extra cash.
- Invest – Have you opened a retirement account? Many brokerages give you cash for bringing them your business. You can get up to $2,000 cash back when you open a Scottrade account or $600 when you open a TD Ameritrade account.
- Get rid of your crap – Are you tripping over the stuff…err crap…in your house? Sell it on Ebay or Amazon, have a garage sale or sell it on Craigslist and monetize your junk.
- Grocery shopping – Don’t want to house sit, but still take advantage of people going on vacation? Offer to do grocery shopping so they can come home to a kitchen full of groceries.
- Stage homes – Summer is home buying season. If you’re creative and have an eye for detail, stage houses to make extra money.
- Help people move – See above. Double dip on the selling and help people move.
- Sell bottled water – If you have a Costco membership, buy several cases of bottled water and sell them outside outdoor events – just make sure your city allows you to this prior to doing it. 😉
- Paint – Pretty much anyone can paint. You need very few items to do it, you get to be outside, and you can make extra money to boot!
- Get a part-time job – This isn’t my personal favorite as I’d rather control my hours, but you can always get a part-time job for some extra cash.
- Flip garage sale finds – I’ve never done this, but there is a whole group of people who buy items at garage sales and sell them on Ebay or Amazon for a profit.
- Sign up for a new credit card – This is one of my personal favorites. If you have a major purchase planned this summer, sign up for a new rewards credit card and get some cash or points back for the spending.
- Start a blog –Blogging is a great way to make extra money. I’ve more than replaced the income I earned at my former day job through blogging. If I can start a blog, anyone can. You can sign up for cheap hosting, such as $2.95 per month through Bluehost when you sign up through my link and be up and running in a few minutes. Always wanted to start a blog, but don’t know where to start? Check out my guide on how to start a blog, where I break down all the steps to get up and running.
- Rent your house – Going on vacation this summer? You can rent out your house or condo on VRBO to make a little extra money.
- Get paid to shop – Why not get a little cash back for shopping you do online? You can use sites like Ebates to get some cash back for shopping you’d already be doing anyway. They’re free to use, which you can’t beat. You can sign up for Ebates here.
- Sell a bodily fluid – You can definitely make extra money this summer selling a bodily fluid. Pretty, no, but do you really need all that plasma? 😉
- Tutor – Are you proficient in a certain skill or subject? People are always looking for tutors in different subjects.
- Be a handyman – Are you good with your hands? Many like to do home-improvement projects in the summer but not everyone knows what they’re doing. With a few tools and word of mouth advertising you can make some nice money in your free time.
- Watch kids – Daycare during the summer can be expensive for parents. If you like being around kids you can undercut daycares and still make a nice sum.
- Drive – Yep, if you know how to drive and have free time you can make nice cash driving for Lyft or Uber.
- Write for bloggers – Do you like to write? There are countless opportunities to write for bloggers and businesses online. Check out this course by my friend Cat if you’d like to make money writing for blogs but need help to start.
- Sign up for FIVERR – Fiverr can be a great way to make a little extra cash doing things like animation, design or writing.
- Get paid for your social media posts – Are you active on social media? You can sign up for IZEA to promote campaigns for a variety of companies on your social media channels.
- Work security – I worked security quite a bit while in college for different events. You usually get to be outside and is an easy way to make some extra money.
- Take pictures – Do you have a good eye for detail and like to take pictures of various landscapes? Use that creativity to make extra money. You can work with sites like DepositPhotos to sell your pictures and earn some cash.
- Scoop dog poop – No, not very glamorous but still a way to make extra money.
- Clean houses – Unless you’re like me and clean the house to clear your mind, most don’t like to clean their house. Cleaning houses can be a great way to make extra money this summer if people are moving and want to tidy up their homes.
- Wash windows – We have a friend who has a side business washing windows and he does quite well at it. You’ll need a few supplies but is a great way to make extra money – especially if you get business from franchises.
- Deliver pizzas – My youngest brother delivered pizzas for several years and made a killing doing it – especially in the summer. If you have a car and don’t mind the odd hours you can make some nice bank.
- Rent your friendship – I don’t know that I’d do this, but if you’re up for helping people have platonic friendships, you can sign up for RentAFriend and make up to $50 per hour plus free meals or movies as well.
- Take Selfies – Do you take a lot of selfies? The Stylinity app allows you to tag products you like and share them on your social channels. If a friend makes a purchase you get a little kickback.
- Self publish a book – Mrs. Frugal Rules wrote a short book as a gift to my mom for last Christmas. Just out of curiosity we put it on Amazon and we’ve made about $500 in sales thus far. You can self-publish through CreateSpace who makes the whole process simple to manage.
- Test websites –Can you use a computer? You can get $10 for 15 minutes of your time testing sites and apps on UserTesting.com.
- Work weddings – Summer is also wedding season. You can make extra money in many ways through weddings from being a DJ, to cleaning up afterwards to taking pictures.
- Editor – Remember the writing above? All that writing needs to be edited. Just promise not to be a grammar Nazi. 😉
- Pet sit – Kennels can be expensive and not always the best for pets. If you like to spend time with animals, it can be a great way to make extra money while people are on summer vacation.
- Coach – This might require more time than being a referee, but summer and fall are huge for sports. If you like a particular sport, why not monetize it?
- Be an Extra – Television shows and movies are always filming. You can check out sites like Backstage or even your local paper for productions looking for extras.
- Mystery shop – I’ve never mystery shopped, but know many who use it as a way to make some extra cash. You might also get a free meal or oil change out of it.
- Sell your old clothes – This is one of the ways we save money on kids clothes. Many consignment stores and sales need clothes to sell. If you have clothing items you no longer wear this can be a great way to make a little extra cash.
- Be a tour guide – Do you live in a tourist location or have sites people like to visit when they come to your hometown? Share your knowledge of the sites and make a little extra cash while you’re at it.
- Surf the web – If you’re like me, you’re on the Internet all the time. Why not make a little money while on it? With Swagbucks you can earn points, called SB points, that can be turned into money. You can sign up for Swagbucks and earn an extra $5 sign-up bonus to earn things like Amazon gift cards for completing different actions on their browser.
- Sell unused electronics – If you’re like us you likely have a fair number of old electronics lying around the house. Believe it or not, there are people out there looking for such things. We’ve made several hundred dollars selling old items on Craigslist. I’ll take that any day!
- Sell produce – Is your garden overproducing? Freezing produce is one option, but you could also sell said produce in your neighborhood or at a Farmer’s Market to make a little extra money.
- Wash cars – When was the last time you paid to wash your car? They can be pretty costly. With a few supplies you can wash cars around your neighborhood this summer.
- Teach something – Do you know how to play an instrument? Do you have some other skill you’re good at? Sell your time by teaching others how to do the same thing.
The best thing about this list is that it only scratches the surface. If you have the time and have identified a need there are countless ways to make extra money this summer and throughout the entire year.
Now, over to you – what are some of your favorite ways to make extra money over the summer? What’s your answer to those who say they do not know how to make extra money?
Latest posts by John Schmoll (see all)
- 25 Ways to Get Your Finances Back on Track This Summer - March 29, 2017
- What’s The One Thing That’s Holding You Back Financially? - March 27, 2017
- E*TRADE Review: Get Up To $600 Cash Back! - March 27, 2017