The Discover it® card by Discover is a worthy card to consider if you’re someone who likes to use credit cards to earn some cash back from your everyday spending. My wife and I both have had Discover cards in the past which helped me as I did the research for my Discover it® card review.
My favorite aspect of the Discover it® card is that you get 1% cash back on all of your purchases, with a different rotating category each quarter that earns you 5% cash back. The new Discover it® card has other nice features, which I’ll get into below, but I love the fact that their call center is completely U.S. based and is open 24 hours a day. In addition to that, the Discover card also provides your credit score for free with each monthly statement so you can stay on top of where your credit score is.
Considering the features of the new Discover it® card, I’d have to say that the card is a solid one to consider if you’re looking for a new credit card to add to your wallet. That said, if you’re struggling with debt, especially consumer debt, then no rewards (especially those offered by the new Discover card) are worth bringing on more debt.
Related: If you’re into travel rewards cards then check out my Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard review, where you qualify for a $400+ sign up bonus after spending $3,000 within the first 90 days of account opening.
I’ve recently started credit card churning in order to earn points for spending I’m already doing. I’ve used my Chase Freedom card for years to earn extra cash, much like can be done with the Discover it® card, which made this Discover card option stand out to me. The Discover card attracted my attention at the beginning of 2013 when I saw commercials on TV advertising it. If you’ve not seen the commercials, they point out many of the same features that I do with this Discover it® card review. Before I get on with my review of the Discover it® card, I do want to point out again I would not recommend getting a new card unless you already practice discipline with credit card usage.
Great Features of the Discover it®Card
- The Discover it® card has virtually no fees. There are no annual fees and no over the limit fees. It also has no foreign transaction fees and allows a one-time no fee on missed payments.
- You also receive a generous 5% cash back at Home Improvement Stores, Furniture Stores and Bed Bath & Beyond® on up to $1,500 in purchases from April through June 2014 when you sign up.
- There is an introductory 0% APR on the Discover it® card for the first 14 months, including balance transfers, with a variable rate thereafter.
- You can set your own due date on the credit card payment and can do so up to midnight (Eastern Standard Time) online or by phone. This seems like a beneficial feature and offers great flexibility.
- The call center is entirely U.S. based and is open 24 hours, so when you call you’ll be speaking to a human and not to a machine. This is a huge bonus to me knowing that I can call and get someone right away.
- Do you like to shop at Amazon? If so, you can link the Discover it® card to your Amazon account to purchase items with your rewards points. Since I love to shop at Amazon this seems like a great feature!
- The Discover card also offers a free FICO Credit Score on your monthly statement to help you stay on top of your credit score.
- They claim to have a lower rate or payment option if you lose your job. To be fair, I could not find much on this, but sounds intriguing and something I hope I never have to partake in.
Drawbacks of the Discover it® Card
- Probably the biggest drawback to the Discover it® card that I could find was that there is no bonus for signing up for the card. It is not something that would hold me back from applying for a credit card, but it is definitely a nice feature to have. That said, it can be a great everyday card option with the 1% cash back feature you get on all purchases – just like the Chase Freedom card.
- The variable rate APR is another drawback in my opinion. This is not a huge deal to me as we pay off our credit cards in full each month, but might be a detractor for some.
My Verdict on the Discover it® Card
After taking a balanced look at the Discover it® card, I would have to say that it looks like a very attractive option if you’re in the market for a new credit card. I love the flexibility it offers and the fact that I can reach someone who is based in the U.S. 24 hours a day.
As someone who has worked at a call center in the past, I know this is an important feature to many. Although the Discover it® Card does not offer a sign up bonus it does offer an attractive cash back feature that can be used to earn a nice little sum of money throughout the year if you plan it right. Credit card balance transfers are also an attractive option with this card if that is something you’re in the market for.
Do you like to take advantage of credit card rewards? What’s your favorite rewards credit card?